Before teaching grammar, teachers should think what approaches
to use in class; if they are effective and what tools to help achieve their
goals. Jeremy Harmer says that the vast majority of students of English benefit
from a teacher-mediated focus on specific language forms, but why and how? I
believe that when he mentioned this, he was giving the example of two
approaches: deductive and inductive, strategies to facilitate our students’ learning
process and the role of the teacher in class.
To start with, these approaches are very distinct from
each other. In a deductive class, the teacher introduces and teaches the
concept and then students do a task according to what they have learned. There
is no time for them to come up with their own conclusion about grammar rules; in
other words, teachers spoon-feed them. Another issue is that the class is very
teacher-centered, which means that the teacher speaking time is very high and
there is no interaction between teacher and students.
On the other hand, the inductive approach is the
opposite of the previous one. I use the inductive approach in my classes
because it guides students to notice the grammar and they come up with the
rules by themselves; I give lots of examples to enhance my explanations; I
drill and model the patterns before asking individually. Using it gives more
opportunity for the students to practice the language and remember the pattern
later. For example; my Junior 3 is learning present continuous, but I did not
introduce the grammar by explaining it; I showed some pictures; then I asked:
“What is she doing?” some of them answered and others did not; however, we
practiced a lot until everybody had understood. I asked them to choose one
action, draw and write about it. Later on, some volunteers showed the pictures
to their classmate. The class asked: “What are you doing?” then the student
answered: “I am____”. By the end of the class they were able to understand the
meaning of present continuous and how to write accurately.
Furthermore, not only do I have to choose which
approach to use, but also the activities, materials and other tools too. Jeremy
Harmer suggests that we need to offer a varied diet of exercise to our
students. While planning a lesson, I always keep in mind that my classes must
be effective. I always think about activities that increase my students’ knowledge
and how they can benefit from the exercise.
However, how should I plan classes in order to classes
be effective? As my students are beginners, I use the straight arrow lesson
procedure; first, I engage them; for instance, I show pictures and ask them to
tell me the words, then I drill by saying different voices. For the second
step, I present a dialogue and they have to practice listening and reading, listening
and repeating and then role playing. Finally, I activate their schemata, so I
ask students in pairs to create their own dialogue using the grammar point
presented and the vocabulary learned.
In conclusion, effective classes are those that let
students think and come up with their grammar “rules”; teachers should let
their neurons connect by themselves instead of spoon-feeding them because when
teachers make students “discover” the language and the grammar point and use it
in a context; they will remember more than those who only memorize patterns and
structures.

Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário